|5 * Hotel Commercial Kitchen General
2. Lighting Levels:
• Prep Areas: 538 to 754 lux (50 to 70 foot candles)
• Storage / Corridors: 215 lux (20 foot candles) minimum.
| 3. Lamps / Fixtures: Provide the following:
Recessed mounted fixture and lens flush with ceiling.
• Shatterproof sheaths.
• Fluorescent lamp
• Removable, washable plastic
• Interior Design: When lights are exposed
to the Guest’s
view (such as in Exhibition Kitchens), select fixtures that
are coordinated with the interior design and support the
restaurant concept. <3>
1. Program: Provide an area for the unloading of products
from delivery trucks. Deliveries are checked-in and weighed
by security and kitchen staff. Large shipments of product
are broken down for food production storage and returns
2. Trash Recycling: Provide facilities to separate and store
recyclable material if required by governing regulations.
• Provide for pest control in recycling and waste
• If provided within the building, locate in a sealed,
3. Trash Holding: When required, provide a refrigerated
with refrigerated compactor.
• Consider the following:
+ Location of project
+ Amount of trash
+ Frequency of trash removal
+ Exterior conditions
4. Purchasing Office: At locations outside the U.S.
Canada, provide an office at Receiving (with view of
Receiving Area) to manage food purchasing.
5. Scale: Heavy duty construction, recessed in dock floor
capacity and increments dependant on delivery load
6. Cart Wash: Provide a dedicated area or alcove for cleaning
foodservice carts and equipment.
• Location: At Receiving area or pot washing area.
• Size/Area: 2.4 x 2.4 m (8 x 8 ft.), typical.
• Partition or isolate from Can Wash to avoid
contamination from garbage containers.
• Provide positive slope to floor drains or trough
• Provide hose and hose rack with hot and cold water.
7. Can Wash: Provide dedicated room equipped with a machine
used to clean and sanitize garbage cans.
• Location: Adjacent to Receiving (loading dock) area.
• Size/Area: 2.4 x 2.4 m (8 x 8 ft.) enclosed room
with 1 m (3’-6”) wide door.
• Can Wash Machine:
+ Size machine to accommodate product
(containers) used in foodservice operation. Mount
on 10 cm (4 inch) high curb.
+ Equip space with hose and hose rack with hot and cold
8. Entry Doors: Provide controls for prevention of pest
contamination. Includes automatic air curtains, door
seals, sweeps, guards and automatic door closers.
9. Finishes – Receiving Areas:
• Floors: Concrete, sealed
• Walls: Concrete masonry, epoxy painted
• Ceilings: Exposed structure
1. Program: Provide when market study determines that
food and produce arrives in a rough, unprocessed state
that requires cleaning prior to entering the facility
2. Location: Locate at Receiving Area adjacent to
3. Features: Provide the following:
• Continuous 15 cm (6 inch) high concrete curb / base
at perimeter walls.
• Floor trench drain
• Slope floor to drain
• Wash table and sink
• Hot and cold water faucet at sink
• Hot / cold water, hose and water hose rack at wall
4. Finishes: Provide the following:
• Floors: Concrete, sealed
• Base: Concrete curb
• Walls: Ceramic tile
• Ceiling: Exposed solid deck structure painted or
prep type suspended ceiling.
| Refrigerated / Frozen Storage Units
1. Program: Provide insulated and refrigerated compartmentalized
storage (complex of units) to house food products. Provide
pass-thru units consisting of two compartments for each
food category as follows:
• 1 compartment for holding raw product adjacent to
Rough Prep rooms.
• 1 compartment for holding prepared or finished product
adjacent to Main Kitchen.
2. Location: Locate between Rough Prep rooms and Cold Prep
area of Main Kitchen.
3. Entrance Access: Provide common entrance vestibule with
other storage facilities such as dry, liquor, and non-food.
Requires dedicated storeroom attendant.
• Secure space with door and magnetic encoded card
electronic operated lock with audit record and door contact
• Provide double door entrance to accommodate pallet
• Provide adequate space to store pallets.
• Desk and chair.
• Computer with PMS.
4. Freezer Facilities: Provide and size according to the
• Market study.
• Geographic location.
• Delivery schedules.
• Availability of products.
5. Storage Equipment: Provide the following: • Shelving:
Noncorrosive material such as stainless steel wire or polypropylene
protected wire meeting NSF material and fabrication requirements.
• Shelf Units: Four tiers of shelving with 1.6 m (5’-3”)
posts, four leg / post casters and brakes on the two front
• First Shelf: Install 25 cm (10 inches) above floor
with equally spaced shelves above.
6. Walk-in Unit (Coldroom) Fabrication / Construction:
• Floor: Depress supporting slab to receive insulation,
minimum R-30, and floor surface to match balance of Main
Kitchen. Provide walk-in floor surface flush with adjoining
kitchen - no ramps or steps.
• Walls / Overhead: Foam-in-place urethane insulated,
minimum R-30, panels. Nonpainted, noncorrosive,
1 mm (U.S. 20 gage) stainless steel or equivalent
interior and minimum 1 mm (U.S. 20 gage) stainless
steel, exterior walls. Enclose space above top of units
to structure above with same panel / finish material as
walk-in unit. Provide trim strips as necessary.
• Door: Hinged, 91 cm (3 ft.) wide entrance door with
self-closing hinges, observation window with heater,
61 cm (24 inch) high diamond kick plate on both sides
and a door locking mechanism. Provide heaters and
pressure relief ports for freezer compartments.
• Thermometer: Exterior, viewable, mount near unit
* Hotel Commercial Kitchen Mechanical Standarts
of the kitchen
to Hvac App. Commercial Kitchen Main Page
|Back to Hvac Expert Main