of guests evacuated after sauna fire at Liverpool’s
Jul 23 2009
HUNDREDS of Adelphi hotel guests were evacuated early
today after a fire broke out in the sauna.
About 700 visitors had to leave their beds just after
5.30am as the small blaze in the basement gym triggered
Two fire crews dealt with the fire, which only affected
The Adelphi’s general manager, David John Regan,
praised the fire service for its quick response.
He said: “At 5.30am, the alarm sounded and
my team had to evacuate all of the guests.
“On investigation, we found the sauna had a
fault and was on fire. The fire brigade were excellent
– their response time was brilliant and they
were here in minutes.
“The guests were taken back into the lounge
at 6am when it became apparent there was no threat
“They were all very understanding, ate breakfast
and seemed happy.
“I want to praise the work of my staff and
the fire teams.
“The sauna and pool area will be out of action
for a while and the sauna will have to be replaced.”
Watch manager Andy Burton said: “On arrival,
we found an overheated sauna element was on fire.
The sauna was next door to the pool, so we were able
to use a hose from that area to extinguish the fire.”