as entrance roof of Rio hotel collapses
Email Print Normal font Large font February 27, 2007
AdvertisementAt least two people were killed and 10
injured on Monday when the roof over the entrance
of a Rio de Janeiro hotel near Copacabana beach collapsed,
rescue workers said.
The three-star Hotel Canada stands on busy Nossa
Senhora de Copacabana Avenue, parallel to the beachside
Avenida Atlantica, popular with tourists. The city
is still full of tourists after last week's Carnival
"We don't know if the people were just passing
by or were guests at the hotel. There is a chance
of finding more victims under the rubble, we're trying
to lift the collapsed roof," said Maj. Moreira,
a spokesman for the fire service.
Globo television said the hotel is one of the oldest
in the area and had recently been refurbished.
1 March 2007
FIRE ripped through a luxury hotel, causing more than
£100,000 of damage
while its boss was picking up a top industry award
for the venue.
Steven McLeod had to cut short his acceptance speech
at the Scottish Hotel of the Year Awards and rush
back to Airth Castle, near Falkirk, Stirlingshire.
Steven had earlier picked up the Rising Star gong
at the awards in Glasgow's Crowne Plaza hotel.
Airth Castle then won the Turnaround award for Most
Improved Scottish Hotel.
Steven, 32, who also owns the Glenbervie House Hotel
in Larbert, Stirlingshire, told yesterday how word
of the fire reached him as he made his speech at 10.30pm
He said: "I looked to my table and everyone's
faces were white. They were motioning me to finish.
"I stumbled through a few more words and got
off the stage.
"We just rushed outside and hailed a black cab
back to the hotel.
"When we got there, 142 guests who had been evacuated
were standing outside and the area was swarming with
"It looks like it was an electrical fault in
the ventilation system.
"It is too early to say what the damage will
be but it looks certain to cost in excess of £100,000."
He said the fire started in the £1million spa
in the hotel, which is built around a 14th-century
Steven, from Stirling's Raploch, only took over Airth
Castle in 2005.
Within a year, he raised it from three stars to become
Fire evacuates guests
at a Rockland hotel
ROCKLAND, Mass. - A fire tonight causes a headache
for guests staying at a Rockland hotel.
A portion of the Radisson on Hingham Street had to
be evacuated shortly before 7 p.m. when a planter
on the fourth floor caught fire.
Investigators believe someone may have put a cigarette
out in it.
Within minutes smoke had filled the hall.
No one was injured and no major damage is reported.
The call went to two-alarms because the Rockland
Fire Department simply didn't have the resources to
handle it on their own.
A town meeting is scheduled for Monday to discuss
the firefighter shortage.