Evacuated Due to High Levels of Carbon Monoxide
OCEAN CITY, Md.- Authorities say six people were taken
to the hospital and their hotel evacuated after high
levels of carbon monoxide were detected at the El
Capitan hotel in Ocean City on Thursday night.
Ocean City police say that at around 9:40 p.m. they
received a call for six ill people in a room at the
El Capitan hotel on 401 Atlantic Ave.
According to investigators, upon arrival, Ocean City
EMS personnel detected high levels of carbon monoxide
in the building and immediately requested additional
safety units, including police and fire services.
Police say the family of six, which initiated the
call, was transported to Atlantic General Hospital
in Berlin. They say the family is expected to be OK.
Police and fire department personnel conducted a
search through each unit of the hotel to ensure that
all patrons were evacuated safely.
The source of the carbon monoxide is being investigated
by the Ocean City Police Department and the Ocean
City Fire Marshal's Office.
The hotel's occupants were allowed to return to the
building about a couple hours after the incident.
Thursday night's incident was not the first time
an Ocean City hotel has experienced a carbon monoxide-related
incident. In June 2006, 40-year-old Patrick J. Boughter,
40, and his 10-year-old daughter Kelly, both from
Pennsylvania, died from carbon monoxide poisoning
while staying at the Days Inn on 23rd Street.