from Turkish hotel fire
A MOTHER today described how she and her family fled
to safety after a blaze broke out at their Turkish
Maxine Reeves, 35-year-old partner Mark Preston and
their two children were part way through a two-week
break in Marmaris when a fire started at the Anastacia
Club resort on Monday night.
Maxine, aged 34, and 11-year-old son Christian were
two of the seven Britons who received hospital treatment
as a result of the blaze. They were treated for glass
in their feet but have since been discharged.
The family, from Tunstall, have told how they were
getting ready for bed when they heard the sound of
smashing glass as staff began evacuating the hotel.
Maxine, aged 34, said: "When we heard the glass
we opened the bedroom door and someone was saying
'Fire, fire, get out now'."
"The corridors were full of smoke. It was so
bad you couldn't see your hand in front of your face."
She added: "People had to smash their way through
the fire doors to get out, walking through all the
Last night the family was waiting to be transferred
to another hotel until they fly home on Sunday.
Maxine, whose nine-year-old daughter Emily is also
on the trip, added: "It still doesn't seem real.
"The fire alarms didn't seem to be going off.
If it had been any later we would have been asleep
and probably dead now."
Maxine rang her family in Stone to let them know
about the incident yesterday morning.
Her mum, Pamela Reeves, aged 58, of The Fillybrooks,
said: "I got a phone call around 6.30am and I
was so shocked.
"I feel really sorry for them, they had been
looking forward to this holiday and then this had
Maxine's sister, 29-year-old cafe worker Nicola Reeves,
of Princes Street, added: "When mum rang I was
really worried but I know Maxine is strong-minded
and will cope."
The fire is reported to have started when a boiler
in the hotel's sauna exploded.
A spokesman for First Choice, the firm the family
booked the holiday with, said: "The cause of
the fire is still being determined and all guests
affected have been moved to alternative accommodation."