December 18, 2000
The Waconia Fire Department was dispatched to an apartment fire
in a 30 unit complex of wood frame construction. While
in route the department was advised that the sprinkler system had
been activated and the fire appeared to be out. The fire
occurred in a second floor two bedroom unit, while the occupant
was heating cooking oil to deep fry food. The occupant
stepped away from the kitchen for approximately five minutes, returning
when he heard a noise to find the oil on fire and
cupboard doors burning. The smoke detector and sprinkler system
activated simultaneously , the later existinguishing
the fire. Fire and heat damaged the stove, cupboards and refrigerator.
Smoke damage was kept to a minimum and did not
extend beyond the apartment of origin.
Back to Sprinkler Success