|Guests evacuated from fire at PoCo's Golden Ears Hotel
A fire Thursday night at the Golden Ears Hotel caused
$50,000 in damages and forced the evacuation of approximately
Port Coquitlam Fire Chief Randy Shaw said four fire
trucks and about 25 firefighters arrived at the Shaughnessy
Street hotel just after 10:30 p.m., and the officer
in charge saw smoke coming from the third floor.
Shaw said the fire, caused by faulty wiring to an
appliance plugged into the manager's office, was controlled
by the hotel's sprinkler system and quickly extinguished.
A cleaning woman suffered smoke inhalation during
the blaze, and was transported to Eagle Ridge Hospital.
She was released several hours later.
While firefighters were still at the hotel, a call
came in about a boxcar fire at the CP Rail yard at
Oxford Street and Lougheed Highway. Shaw said that
after learning about the second blaze, the fire department
put out a call for off-duty firefighters to supplement
Shaw said while the boxcar fire is not considered
suspicious, it is under investigation.
About eight firefighters responded to that blaze,
which caused extensive damage to the contents of the
boxcar. Shaw said the nature of the boxcar - steel
construction with limited entry - made the fire difficult