|Most fires of electrical origin in offices are from defective
or inadequate wiring and equipment; overloaded circuits; substandard
repairs or alterations. Electrical installations should be
inspected periodically and kept in good repair, and routine
visual inspections should be made of portable equipment. Provincial,
Territorial, or Municipal Regulations; or the Canadian Electrical
Code, Part I must be complied with.
Observance of the following rules will control this hazard:
Never condone overloading of circuits. Remember a tripped
circuit breaker is a warning. If the total current demand
(amps) of connected equipment is greater than that which
wiring or socket outlets are designed to supply there is
potential for an electrical fire.
Where flammable gases or vapours may be present, use only
electrical equipment approved for such an application.
Do not use faulty equipment or misuse equipment.
Repair loose wire connections or cables which are kinked,
frayed or other wise damaged. Broken strands may pierce
the insulated covering and become a shock or short circuit
Poorly fitting plugs in socket connections should be changed.
Use a standard receptacle and plug.
Shut off the power on any electrical machine such as computers,
photocopiers, and calculators when the machine is not in
Treat extension cords with care. Broken insulation can start
fires. Cords should not exceed 2 m in length. Replace them
if they are damaged or show wear. Cords should not be strung
around door jambs or placed under rugs as the use of tacks
or other fasteners and the friction wear will lead to insulation
failure. Wherever practicable they should be replaced by
Be sure the extension cords being used are approved by a
recognized testing laboratory and inspect them regularly.
When using self-coiling extension cords, fully draw out
Keep lamps well clear of drapes, papers, and other combustible
Report unsafe conditions without delay. Check to ensure
that the condition is remedied as soon as