Fire causes hospital blackout
PATIENTS were evacuated from Warrington General Hospital
this afternoon after a blackout caused by a generator
Accident and Emergency and some surgical wards were
hit by the power cut and patients needing emergency
treatment were diverted to other hospitals around
the north west.
Patients arriving at the hospital were advised to
go to local walk-in centres for treatment and ambulances
were on standby at the hospital entrance if they needed
The fire was understood to have damaged underground
power cables and emergency generators being used in
Nine patients were diverted to other hospitals for
Seven intensive care patients were moved to other
parts of the hospital unaffected by the cut in power.