evacuation of Missoula hotel
Jun 27 2007 8:33AM
Missoula, Mont. (AP) The Missoula Fire Department
responded to a two-alarm fire at 12:45 this morning,
at the DoubleTree-Edgewater Hotel on the Clark Fork
Missoula Fire Chief Tom Steenberg says the hotel
was completely evacuated. He estimated 80 percent
of the 171 guest rooms were occupied.
Hotel guests were allowed to return to their rooms
at about 2:30 a-m.
Steenberg says the fire started in the kitchen, and
spread to the ventilation system and into the roof
of the building.
No injuries were reported.
The cause of the fire was determined to be an appliance,
being used by the cleaning crew.
The appliance caught fire, and it spread to a small
area of the ventilation system.
Damage to the Finn and Porter Restaurant, inside
the hotel, was estimated at nearly 100-thousand dollars.