Authorities say the fire started in a laundry room of
the Continental Inn and spread to the second floor. The
damage is estimated at $20,000
LARGO -- A hotel fire that started in a first-floor laundry
room forced the evacuation of about 75 guests Thursday
The fire spread to the second-floor laundry room, but
did not get into any guest rooms, said District Chief Pat
McGinley of the Largo Fire Department.
Firefighters were summoned to the Continental Inn, 12810
U.S. 19, at 7 a.m. to find fire in the laundry rooms. Crews
evacuated the building and attacked the fire on both floors.
"We had fire on two floors when we showed up,"
The blaze was knocked down by 7:22 a.m.
No guests were injured, though one firefighter suffered
heat exhaustion. The firefighter was taken to Largo Medical
Center and released four hours later, McGinley said.
Though light smoke seeped into units adjoining the laundry
rooms, a concrete wall prevented flames from punching into
the rooms or the attic, McGinley said.
"It was a nasty little fire, but thank God it didn't
spread into any of the units or the attic," he said.
Damage was estimated at about $20,000. The fire was caused
by an electrical problem, McGinley said.
"It pretty well gutted out both rooms," he said.
Guests were allowed into the rooms to get their things
after the fire was out. It was unknown Thursday when the
would open. Hotel management could not be reached.