The Hilton Hotel Fire
Guests evacuated from hotel during blaze
View GalleryHolidaymakers had to be evacuated from
a seafront hotel when a fire broke out on Tuesday
Firefighters rushed to the Hilton Hotel in Royal Parade
when the alarm was raised at around 12.30pm.
The fire is believed to have been caused by a faulty
extractor fan in a bedroom, which was empty.
Guests were evacuated onto the street and part of
the road was closed to traffic as officers went in
to the hotel to tackle the blaze.
Two fire engines and an aerial ladder attended the
scene and firefighters removed a window to get into
the room where the flames were.
A spokesperson for the hotel said, "Our fire
alarm went off and we evacuated the hotel."
Wendy Kirby, who works at the Langham Hotel next
door to the Hilton Hotel, said someone came into the
building to tell them what was going on next door.
She went outside to have a look at the fire in case
it spread, and could see smoke coming from the window
of the room.
Hilton manager Shaz Ali said, "The fire brigade
responded very quickly. Everyone was out really quickly.
"They all co-operated and followed procedures.
Everyone was safe and sound and it's business as usual
The full article contains 214 words and appears in