Sun Spree resort catches fire
Updated: Oct 1, 2007 04:02 PM
Holiday Inn Sun Spree resort catches fire
PADRE ISLAND - Firefighters evacuated more than 150
guests from a hotel on Padre Island last night after
a small fire sparked up in the walls.
At least three departments were called out to the
Holiday Inn Sun-Spree Resort on Windward to track
down the fire. Apparenltly, an electrical wire was
at fault in a wall behind a game room on the bottom
Guests had to stay outside for more than an hour
and a half, while firefighters aired out the building.
"We had some elderly couple up there so we had
the Flour Bluff volunteers go up there and locate
them and brought them back down with their families,"
Abel Pulido, CCFD Battalian Chief, said. "But
that's the only room we know had occupants that weren't
Just one person got hurt when she tripped trying
to evacuate the hotel, and just as firefighters were
finishing up at the hotel, flames sparked up on a
North Cabana Street home on the Island.
Firefighters said a guest bedroom mattress somehow
caught on fire. It caused a lot of smoke to pour out
of the garage and home. Firefighters used fans to
air out the home, and no one was hurt.