Peoria hotel evacuated after grease fire in room
A hotel in central Peoria was evacuated Friday afternoon
for about 20 minutes when a grease fire sent a woman
to the hospital and caused about $30,000 in damage,
according to fire officials.
Seventeen Peoria firefighters responded at about
3 p.m. to the Residence Inn, 2000 W. War Memorial
Acting Battalion Chief Mark Ihnken said the fire
was caused by guests using grease to cook food in
The hotel was evacuated, Ihnken said, though he did
not know how many people were evacuated. Two cats
and a dog were removed from the room.
The hotel's sprinkler system extinguished the fire
before firefighters arrived, Ihnken said. There was
very little heat damage but substantial water damage,
According to Ihnken, a woman named Cortney Turner
was taken to OSF Saint Francis Medical Center for
burns to her arms and hands. Her address was not available,
and St. Francis had no information on her Friday night.