Blamed for Carbon Monoxide Leak at El Capitan Hotel
OCEAN CITY, Md.- Authorities say an improperly vented
pool and spa water heater was the source of carbon
monoxide at the El Capitan hotel that sent a family
of six to the hospital last Thursday night.
According to investigators with the Ocean City Fire
Marshal's Office, a Ray Pak 2100 gas-fired pool and
spa water heater was found in the basement of the
hotel, located on 401 Atlantic Ave., where the family
of six was vacationing.
Investigators say the Ray Pak 2100 was determined
to be to be the only carbon monoxide producing device
in the building which could not be ruled out as a
possible source of the carbon monoxide.
The Ocean City Fire Department monitored carbon monoxide
levels in the basement of the building and determined
that the leak originated in the room that the Ray
Pak 2100 was located. Investigators determined that
the Ray Pak 2100 was improperly vented.
The fire department ventilated the building and determined
the building to be safe for occupants. The family
that initiated the carbon monoxide call was treated
at Atlantic General Hospital in Berlin and subsequently