|Two arrested following hotel
March 4, 2006
A lamp knocked over during a domestic dispute that
occurred at a West Bend hotel suite rented out to
five people from South Milwaukee Friday morning resulted
in minor damage to the room, and the arrest of the
two people involved in the dispute.
According to West Bend Fire Department Battalion Chief
John Spartz, a fire alarm was activated at the Clairemont
Inn & Meeting Center, 2520 W. Washington St.,
at approximately 6:09 a.m. When firefighters arrived,
Spartz said, the fire had been extinguished by one
of the five people in the "theme" suite.
During an ensuing police investigation, said Sgt.
Gus Unertl, a police department spokesman, it was
discovered that two of the five people were involved
in a physical altercation, knocked over the lamp,
in turn causing some drapes to catch fire. A participant
in the dispute, 41-year-old James Erie, put the fire
out, sustaining burns to his hands. He was taken to
SynergyHealth St. Joseph’s Hospital for treatment.
He was later jailed on charges of domestic abuse/disorderly
conduct, as was 43-year-old Amanda Sutton.
There was drug paraphernalia found in the room, Unertl
said, although no further charges are being contemplated
at this time. The three other people in the party
were questioned but released, he said.
Damage was estimated at around $500, Spartz said.
|Motel On Colfax
Man At Royal Host Motel Treated For Smoke Inhalation
March 5, 2006
DENVER -- Arson investigators are trying to determine
what started a motel fire on East Colfax Avenue Sunday
night that sent one person to the hospital.
The fire broke out at about 9:30 p.m. at the Royal
Host Motel at 930 East Colfax Avenue.
Firefighters believe the blaze started in a second-floor
room where two men were staying. Witnesses said that
the flames engulfed the side of the motel within minutes.
"As the flames started to get bigger, my boyfriend
ran to help management get people out because people
were still in their rooms and had no idea," said
witness Merrian Johnson. One man was transported to
the hospital for smoke inhalation.
The Red Cross was called in to help those staying
at the motel.
The fire damaged one unit and a few others had water
damage, according to fire officials. Seven rooms on
the second floor were closed. People staying in rooms
on other floors were allowed to return early Monday